Also, try to keep everything to one window. There are quite a few shots on here that have two screenshots combined into one image. I know you may want to show off your desktop wallpaper, but this is a customization website, not a desktop showcase site. Unless you have a very, very, good reason to use more than one desk (you have too many skinned apps to fit on one screen), keep it to one. Thanks =)
Just thinking out loud. Feel free to discuss in the comments.
I’ve seen lots of 100s here lately. While it’s good that people are finding things they like, I don’t think that handing out perfect scores is in keeping with the spirit of PF. I see PF as a place I come to when I want real critique on my work, not just “yay, it’s great!” praise. A low score may be disheartening, but it can also be very good for you! I think that PF is drifting away from this.
For the most part, admin/mod scores are fairly well balanced, with some admins & mods being more generous or critical than others. I try to offer critique with each score, and generally I think the other admins/mods do a decent job of that as well.
In any case, here are some guidelines that I propose – for the benefit of raters, and for authors, who might be insulted by what they feel is an unfair rating.
Ratings (for screenshots):
- 100 – Perfect. Flawless. Could not be better in any conceivable way. imho, 100s should only be given when you cannot think of any way to improve the submission. These are are shots that push the boundaries and go on to really impact customization in a big way (like pep’s snohetta, for instance :3).
- 95-99 – Excellent. Extremely good. Submissions that are amazing, and push the boundaries, but suffer from 1 or 2 minor drawbacks, like padding issues or minor font discrepancies. These are god-tier submissions.
- 90-94 – Great. Very, very good. Submissions that are almost there. These shots bring a lot of new ideas to the table, or demonstrate a new twist using a pre-existing style. They may suffer from 1 or 2 minor drawbacks, or have one semi-major flaw (maybe the icons just don’t fit).
- 85-89 – Very Good. Submissions that are well-executed and composed. Don’t necessarily bring new ideas to the table or push the boundaries, but nonetheless show a good mastery of customization. An explorer window must be shown.
- 80-84 – Good. Submissions that, apart from a major flaw, or 1 or 2 minor flaws, are good. These shots demonstrate a good understanding of customization, but have lots of room for improvement. An explorer window may or may not be shown.
- 75-79 – Above average. Submissions that show a decent understanding of customization, but suffer from 1-2 major flaws that prevent it from being a good shot (maybe the style doesn’t work, or the shot has too many elements that don’t fit together).An explorer window may or may not be shown.
- 70-74 – Average. A decent shot. Not good, not terrible, just average. There are some good elements to the shot, but they aren’t utilized very well, and don’t contribute to the whole. I’d like to stress that these aren’t terrible shots, just average.An explorer window may or may not be shown.
- 60-69 – Below average. Questionable. These shots demonstrate a superficial understanding of customization, or a lack of effort. Feels thrown together. An explorer window may or may not be shown.
- 50 and below – Good chance for moderation. An explorer window is not shown. Large parts of the setup are not customized, and the shot demonstrates an apparent lack of customization knowledge.
So there you go. Thoughts? Discuss below.